Monday, September 26, 2011

Reality Bites

Thanks to whoever came up with that bit of wisdom. Today we were walking ArtPrize which is an awesome showing of community spirit here in Grand Rapids, MI put on by one of our favorite sons. As I read the explanations of the different pieces of art, it occurred to me that we spend a lot of time attaching meaning to what we do. At the point that man decided he was more than another animal, the search for existential meaning began. Music was more than a means to convey information, art more than a way to describe history or present plans. We wanted to present our soul and be loved for it. People bare parts of their inner feelings looking for a generally self absorbed population to give them adulation. It made me think. What would happen, if I told everyone that my reason for art is that it makes me happy. Why do I write this blog? I can. Why do I knit? Sense of accomplishment; lord knows my work won't give me that feeling. My personal pride in making a vintage sock monkey from scrap comes from proving that we can still conserve and make great stuff. In a wasteful world, I like proving people wrong. Also known as, self-satisfaction. So why did I call this reality bites? I love those crazy, sensitive artsy folks and in the end they are not likely to find the mass admiration they seek. That bites. Keep doing what you do because you love it.

1 comment:

  1. Marti,

    Thank you for the "stamp of validation", I have been artsy for a long time and your post was like a hug. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.