Saturday, October 23, 2010

Having a Life

Last week was a major goat rodeo. Already booked up with compliance training, a new program was initiated that required a lot of calls and followup, while requiring an audit of completion for another project. 3 nights in the unenviable motor capital of the U.S. waking at 4am, working until 11pm and crossing the state to close it up. The coming week is the mother of all conference call weeks and a little mix of doing someone else's job thrown into it all. The travel budget is nearly exhausted and I definitely am. In thinking it over, I can't figure out what having a life really means. The nasty, busy weeks that have plagued my work lately are as much a life as knitting, target shooting, hanging with my pets (including the hubby)and publishing this blog. What does it really mean to get a life? My last post was about deciding your own trajectory and if that involves some crappy hours and weekend crackberry usage then it is still your life. Reconciling this thought poses a bigger challenge. It has taken me over 2 years to find a massage therapist and eyebrow waxes that I will regularly frequent in my new hometown. Those and a new church would help me feel more like I've found a "life". Maybe having a life is more about each person's need to feel that they have more to contribute than being a cog in the machine. It is possible to feel that way, even when you know that you make a difference for the people you serve. Some of us need to know that we are respected by the people above us and there will be opportunities to grow. Odd, because I consider myself someone that determines her self-worth by caveat as opposed to consensus. My sister would tell you that it is sleep deprivation. It might just be time to find a church choir and practice flute for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.