Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How much is too much?

The Ghost Writer sits in quandary seeking the answer to the question, "How much follow-up is too much?"
 
I went looking for a fix to a problem -- that's what I do.  Fix things.  I found a fix.  Reported the availability of the fix to the appropriate people and was told, "We'll get you an answer on if we want to go forward with the fix."  Fine.
 
However, there are a couple of issues working here.
 
One, I went out and bugged a supplier for this fix.  He's hoping to get some business out of it, or at least get some meaningful feedback from us on the fix.  Without a response from the people to whom I supplied the information, I can't help him.  Further, this will make my fix resource less likely to help me find these solutions in the future.
 
Two, I just don't throw things over the wall.  Just because I sent an email and documented the option for a fix doesn't let me off the hook.  I want a closed response, and well, because of the nature of my job, a closed response is really the only correct option.
 
So with these two issues in play, I follow-up.  Every week.  Now every week since November of last year.  Yes, that's three months ago. 
 
How much is too much?

1 comment:

  1. Your follow up has been weekly, is it with the same: person? time of day? day of the week? When I need an answer (especially when it's tied to credibility) *I* would consider contacting another person "in the loop," by another means (phone?) etc. And I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know or haven't considered, IF you needed the response from me, you would have already gotten an answer to your email. Contacts like you have for the fix are not infinitely patient nor infinitely available. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.