Saturday, February 19, 2011

When is it my fault?

So, while Marti manages more reflexive retail actions, the Ghost Writer contemplates, "When is it my fault?"
Insurance companies, states, and all the lawyers that fuel them use the language "at fault" and "no fault", but yet, behind the scenes, and if you've ever been in a car wreck you know this, fault is assessed and assigned a percentage basis.  I turned left in front of an oncoming vehicle.  As far as I'm concerned, I was 100% at fault.  I turned, right (no left)?  But no, my turn signal was on, so I'm only 90% at fault.  Really?
At this point you're thinking, "What does this have to do with your usual rant, GW, on HR Leadership?"  Well, here's where it comes together.  A colleague emails the other day and asks me to check into something at a site.  In the investigation, I find a huge error.  Huge, multi-year, error.  Now I wasn't in charge in all the years involved in this mess, but I have been for a couple of them.  So I take responsibility.  This is my fault.  I didn't know this issue existed, but I do now.  Further, I have learned a new lesson on asking questions about the nitty gritty details of items in my control.
However, there is one person who has been on the watch the entire time.  Why isn't it his fault?
As an HR Leader, I think it's important when something in my area fails to say, "This is my fault, and I will take care of it."  I think it shows integrity.  But as I inherit more problems than I can solve in most of my jobs, I think I may learn to just say the last part.  Accept accountability, but take no blame. 
When do you think it's your fault?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.