Friday, April 16, 2010

Freedom of Choice - The Friday Rant

One of the most self-destructive things we encounter in our lives is our freedom of choice. The right to choose is an amazing gift. As I was driving up to one of the facilities, I take care of 16 as a HR professional, there is a bus stop nearby. I saw a man sitting in a motorized wheelchair, wearing oxygen and smoking a cigar, waiting for the bus. Besides the obvious explosion risk, at some point his freedom of choice should have been affected by self-preservation. However, we have supposedly evolved to the point that we override our need for sleep to achieve more, our need for safety to indulge more, and our instinct to be part of the pack to make our own way. I personally crave more instinct in my life. There have been many times where that momentary feeling that I should take a certain course of action has lost to my "reason and planning" much to my regret. My suggestion, next time your exhausted, sleep; when you are scared, run; and when you are lonely, find your pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.