Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Social Media Isn't All Chat

Recently, my interest has turned to understanding how social media works for employer branding, recruiting and networking. Like most business professionals, my Linked In account was my social media staple for more than 2 years now, but just got the first picture of me 2 weeks ago. I like the network updates, so I can see what is going on with business contacts. My Facebook account is, and will remain, my personal social media connection. I don't post a lot, but I like to see what is going on with friends and family. What I didn't realize until a Webinar with Penelope Trunk (Brazen Careerist) and Amanda Hite (Talent Revolution) is that I was listening to those communities. My activity wasn't to chat, but to see what was happening. They indicated that the key to success in social media is setting up ways to listen and learn about different communities. When you find one that has the talent you need, then you chat and put your brand and opportunities forward to the right folks. This also works for relocation, you can tap into a community using tools that pull RSS Feeds for a specific area to see what people talk about and begin communicating with the neighborhood. It also applies to networking, set up your Google search, Net Vibes, Twitter Feed, etc., to the industry, geography, or whatever you are targetting and listen. The people with influence will become obvious, then reach out. I have worked in some huge companies with significant influence in their industries and the HR folks there generally neglect social media. There are many reasons from fear of a career limiting misstep to a total lack of understanding of what social media can do for them. Thanks to Brazen Careerist for putting on that webinar with such portable information for all of us!

2 comments:

  1. Marti,

    Thanks so much for tuning in to the webinar and for the mention. Great insight here in your blog.

    Stay in touch!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marti:

    I found my way here via your comment on Laurie Ruettimann's 4/13 blog post. I have been monitoring our use of Yammer as a means of allowing internal "listening." Would enjoy comparing notes/observations, if possible. On Twitter @BKneuer

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.