Thursday, April 22, 2010

Lighting a Manager on Fire and Other Illustrative Training Techniques

There is much to be said for a sense of humor in one's work. Once, in a fit of frustration, I suggested that lighting one manager on fire in the parking lot, taping it, and showing that to all new managers would help them understand the importance of compliance. Behavioral modeling seemed like a great way to get ongoing solid performance. This lead to other great training concepts like putting managers in the trunk of my small company car until they agree to sign the affidavit of cooperation. When my company computer could no longer be fixed by shaking it like an etch-a-sketch, I offered to run it over with my company car, put the pieces inside the car, drive it off a parking ramp, take a picture and send it to the corporate office to explain what is wrong with the computer. I have a healthy distate for kitchy training programs and corporate bureaucracy. Fortunately for my career, this creativity is satisfied in creating the process and presenting it as stand up comedy in the office. This is my little gift to all of the business professionals that take it all too seriously. Isn't it about time you lit a manager on fire?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.