Monday, April 12, 2010

Toxic Waste Handler

Today, I found myself sitting in an office without any of the tools I need to do my job, after they graciously allowed me to reapply and be selected for my own job. Looking at the mess my newly promoted boss left behind, I was reminded of a consultant that suggested I am a toxic waste handler. One of those people with the ability to quickly clean up things others are wisely unwilling to approach. I am also the same person that would ask an executive for their extra dessert at a company function. Both yield similar results, a small reward for a bold move and the periodic opportunity to reapply for one's job. It made me wonder how I can do more for the toxic waste handlers around me. I was the chucklehead that accepted this job, once again, so maybe there is a chance to take care of the rest of the radiation slime junkies out there. I welcome kindred spirits to reply and help me figure out what drives us to run into the power plant, when everyone else is running out. This should guide me to a way to raise up my fellow waste managers at work.

2 comments:

  1. Reapply for your own job? What is that about? That's a waste of time - why would any company bother with that?

    When I moved into high tech operations and PR, I laughed at what people thought was difficult, because of the experience I'd gained in retail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second time for me in retail, along with a third time where there was no option to reapply. The bigger they are, the more they jockey to remain on top. Reductions, restructures and consolidatons are regular parts of the process. It is very utilitarian, greatest good for the greatest number. HR tends to be in the minority and a cost center, so they reduce in a clinical way to avoid lawsuits. They hope the good folks reapply and get selected, as they proces the promotions to fill the restructure.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.