Monday, July 4, 2011

Better the Pigs in the Sty You Know

Ghost Writer once again steals the blog while Marti has her back turned playing with the new puppy.

    Welcome to modern political correctness, right?  That place where people are equal regardless of gender, race, or another list of things.  WRONG!
    As a Ghost Writer, I try to author about life on the HR Leader side.  This blog, though, is advice to HR Managers.  Several weeks ago, I got a call from a recruiter friend who had a great job 20 minutes from my house doing what I do best -- fix stuff.  A little bit of a pay adjustment downward but with a commute that didn't involve planes most of the time, it was worth exploring.  So I did just that. 
    Interview Round 1:  Four separate one-hour rotations through peers and the manager of the role to be filled.  [On a tangential rant, why do companies do this?  Torture?  I get to spend four hours repeating myself, and even I get sick of me after four hours.]  In each round I heard about how painfully slow the company is to change, how tenuous the relationship with the union is, and how "my area is fine, fix these other areas."  Pretty typical over-disclosure and change avoidance.  I can deal with that.  At the end of each round, I ask the closer question, "Do you have any concerns regarding my candidacy?"  Trying of course to get one last chance to make the case for me as a rocking candidate.  In Round 3 I hear, "You're a woman."  And promptly get told why my gender makes my job harder.  Really?  I've been a woman in a man's world for 20 years, and I need to hear this from a man like I need a tattoo declaring my gender on my forehead. 
    Yep, sure enough, Ghost Writer is a chic - a boob sporting, ovary toting, child-bearing capable woman.  And in 2011, I'm being told this is a concern regarding my ability to do a job?  WOW.  Wow, wow, wow.  I was offended back in 1995 when an HR Manager told me I was getting a low-ball offer because, "You do want to live with your husband and stay in the area.  Don't you?"  In 2011, I about fell out of my chair.
    However, I want the job.  Great opportunity.  More time at home.  So I call the recruiter, he talks me off the ledge.  The HR Manager apologizes for the cretin and reaffirms the company's commitment to diversity, and I sign-up for Round 2.
    Round 2:  Interview with the manager for the role again, his boss, and another peer.  The peer is internationally based, and I know things are going to get dicey when he starts the interview with, "I'm based in XYZ Country.  US rules do not apply to me."  We then proceed to discuss how I was raised, race, politics, and environmental policy for forty-five minutes.  Yes, indeed.  The "do not ever discuss these in an interview" topics were what this guy wanted to discuss.   Once again, rather than telling the idiot to pound sand, I play along.  I really want this job.  So the interview winds around to when I get to ask questions, and I say, "So how can I help you at your site in XYZ Country?"  "You can't.  You are a woman."  Really?  Shocking news to me!  I swore I peed standing up before I put on a bra, nylons and a skirt this morning.
    So yes, I told the recruiter I was done with this company.  As I said in the very long call recapping this situation, I said, "Better the pigs in the sty you know."
    Because, really, I know there are pigs in my current sty.  They rate women walking into restaurants while I'm at group dinners.  They show me topless pictures of girls from their vacations.  Really?  Yes, really.  They tell me about their affairs and attempt to hide their affairs with my employees.  And occasionally, yes, they treat me like their mommy or secretary -- rescue me and please do it even though you're on vacation because my vacation is more important.  I get it. 
    For 20 years, I've played along to get along and enjoyed a great deal of success.  I've worked to earn their respect, and in return, I get treated like one of them with all the good and the bad that comes along with that status.  But at least these pigs didn't drag my gender into the interview.  They just can't help themselves when it comes to daily interactions.
    So HR Managers, what's in this story for you other than some train-wreck watching?  One, make sure a person really knows how to interview before turning him/her loose with an otherwise unsuspecting candidate.  Two, make sure each person in a rotation understands the company's marketing message to the candidate.  What message and image should candidates leave with about the role and the company?  Three, make sure the candidates tell you honestly about the interview process.
    Remember, even in a tough economy, good candidates in a tough job who want a life quality improving change can choose to stay right where she is -- with the pigs in the sty she knows.
  

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your experience was so unpleasant with XYZ company. It's good to know that you did what needed to be done, appropriately and kept your professionalism intact.

    You and Marti, in writing this blog, give me food for thought and an additional reference point for my career. Thanks to both of you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.