Thursday, July 21, 2011

Just the Bottomline

Ghost Writer brings you her Friday rant a day early... Just that angry.
When bosses or process customers ask a technical question requiring a detailed answer, I assume they want a good answer. Silly me! Because then the requester implicitly or explicitly says, "Skip the details and cut to the bottomline."
As a fixer-of-broken-stuff, I don't mind explaining what's broken or how to design something so it doesn't break. Really. This is good stuff. However, when it gets reduced to a bullet point, what's the point? No one other than me learned anything, and in many cases all I (re)learned was that some people are idiots and adults are little kids in big bodies.
I don't want to be the only one who knows what I know. Shocking for an "expert" to say, I know, but I want my company to be well-equipped to take up where I left off when I run away with my lottery check hot in my pocket. And this week, when I did some elegant, amazing work, I'd like someone to say, "Can you teach _____ that skill?"
HR Leaders and Managers -- watch the bottomline. It's killing and demotivating your broken-stuff-fixers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
People Platform HR by Marti Nelson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.